I. Eligibility Criteria
The Advent missions environment is fast-paced and requires a singular focus and dedication that may at times be taxing for even the most hardened veterans. Therefore, because of the significant demands of this program, applicants must adhere to the following criteria:
- Applicants must be willing to support and submit to the leadership of program leaders, team leaders, and local church leadership.
- Applicants must be willing to uphold the twofold goal of Advent, which is (1) to promote the practice of conversational English within the classroom, and (2) to introduce the Gospel message to student participants in the program.
- Team members unaccompanied by adults are required to be at least 15 years of age. For team members under 15 years of age, they must be accompanied at all times during the missions program by a responsible adult who will play a disciplinary or enforcement role should behavioral or disciplinary issues arise. The adult must explicitly understand and agree to this arrangement to qualify as the adult responsible for the team member in question, and will be placed in the same team with his or her charge for the duration of the mission program. An adult can be responsible for multiple charges. An example of such an adult could be an adult team member from the same church, a family friend, a team pastor, etc.
- All applicants MUST attend Boot Camp in order to attend the whole missions trip.
Mission Trip Dates
Boot Camp: 07/01/20 — 07/04/20
1st Week: 07/05/20 — 07/11/20
2nd Week: 7/12/20 — 07/17/20
Debriefing: 07/18/20 — 07/20/20
Please note that all parts of the program (Boot Camp, Weeks 1 and 2, and Debriefing) are considered mandatory. If you cannot attend any part of it for unavoidable reasons, please contact ADVENT at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please also note that all time listed is devoted to missions and that during your participation in the ADVENT missions trip, leaving for the weekends is NOT permitted, and family relative visitation is strongly discouraged.
**Please note that debriefing does not end until 12pm. Please be sure to arrange your travel plans accordingly.
Apply soon! The earlier the better!
Early-Bird Deadline: April 1, 2020, 11:59 pm PDT
Regular Deadline: May 1, 2020, 11:59 pm PDT
***To submit applications after May 1, 2020, please contact ADVENT.***
Steps to Apply
The application for Advent 2020 is online. Online registration is to be completed on an individual basis. Each member will be expected to complete an application.
Please click on the link below (Step 2) to access the online application system.
First, let's get your Application Materials ready!
Step 1 - Prepare Application Materials
For convenience and efficiency for your application completion process, please prepare the following materials in the specified formats before beginning the actual application.
- Profile Picture: jpeg, jpg, pdf.
- Testimony of Conversion: Please have an up to date, written testimony that let's us know how you came to know Jesus, how your relationship with God has changed your life, and how that has led you to want to participate in ADVENT 2020 (750 word minimum) doc., docx., pdf.
- Liability Release Form - please download and print the form, sign where required, and upload it onto your application.
- Photo and Video Consent Form - please download and print the form, sign where required, and upload it onto your application.
- Know who you will ask to be your recommendation reference and notify them accordingly. The reference of one pastor is mandatory, but you may also include the information of another mentor as a second reference to further your application. If you do not know a pastor who can be your reference, the recommendation of your mentor will suffice. Have his/her/their contact information (email and phone number) ready.
Step 2: Fill Out the Application
- It is possible to fill out the application in multiple sittings, as the form includes an auto-save function. However, please note that this function only applies if you use the same computer and browser to continue your application (it is advised that you use your own computer to protect your privacy). However, uploaded documents will not be saved and will need to be re-uploaded. It is highly encouraged to finish the application in one sitting for greatest efficiency and to prevent loss of work. Preparing the necessary application materials beforehand as encouraged would help. (*Note that the Incognito function of the Google Chrome browser will not support the auto-save function).
- Note that it is possible to edit your application form after submission. You will receive an email confirming the submission of your application, with a copy of your application and a link to edit your application information if necessary. If you note a mistake on your application, please edit your application.
Step 3: Recommendation Form(s)
After you've sent in your application form, please ask your recommendation reference(s) to fill out the recommendation form that will be emailed to them.
- Please provide them with the full name that you used on your application. (Ex.: If your English name is Bill, but your legal name is your Chinese name, please tell your recommendation reference to use the name you wrote down on your application.) This will help us find your information easily for our records. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Please take the initiative to remind your reference(s) to fill out the recommendation form.
- Please note that if your pastoral reference does not turn in a recommendation form on your behalf, your application is incomplete.
- - If your pastor does not turn in your recommendation form by the early-bird deadline, you will still be considered as having submitted your form by the early-bird deadline. Your application will be considered on time as long as your own application has been submitted by the deadline.
- - For the regular deadline, the same applies: recommendation forms may be submitted after the deadline.
- - However, please note that your application cannot be completely screened until the recommendation form is submitted, so there will be delay in your receiving confirmation of your acceptance.
Step 4: Await Confirmation of Acceptance
All applications will be screened by an application committee on a rolling basis. Decisions are made within one week of receiving the application. If you are accepted into the program, you should receive an acceptance email within about one week of having submitted your application. Please do not mail in your checks until you've received your acceptance email.
Note: If you submit the application itself by the Early-bird deadline, you will still be considered as Early-bird; you do not have to submit your check by the deadline to be considered Early-bird. When you've received confirmation that you've been accepted, then you can submit your check for the early-bird cost. Again, please do not submit your check until you've received your acceptance email.
For the regular deadline, the same applies: as long as you submit your application by the regular deadline, your application will be considered. You do not have to send in your check by the regular deadline for your application to be deemed complete for screening. Please do not submit your check until you've received your acceptance email.
Step 5: Mail Your Check(s)
Once your acceptance into the program is confirmed via email (please make sure that mail from email@example.com does not end up in your spam box!), please mail your check to cover the costs (see below) of the trip to Nehemiah Ministry International:
Nehemiah Ministry International
Irvine, CA 92618
Please do not send your check until you've received confirmation of your acceptance. If you do send in your check prematurely, know that it will be disregarded until your acceptance is confirmed.
Step 6: Pick-Up Request Form
After receiving confirmation of your acceptance via email, please let us know if you will need us to pick you up from the airport in Taoyuan by filling out this form: Pick-up Request. We will ONLY arrange to pick you up if you fill out this form. Please note that if you do not request a pick-up in advance, but arrive at the airport and ask us to pick you up on the spot, you will be asked to pay a fine of $20 USD. The same fine applies even if you are arriving with a group, where some members have requested pick-up, but you yourself have not. Please note that extensive coordinating work is done in order to ensure that all who have requested pick-up will be served, so please do fill out the form at least two weeks in advance if you need pick-up from the airport.
You will need the following information:
- Your personal contact information
- Flight Arrival Information
(back to top)
Full Cost: $600 USD if application is submitted after April 1, 2020, 11:59 pm PDT
Early-bird Discount: $540 USD if application is submitted by April 1, 2020 11:59 pm PDT
The cost covers room & board and transportation for Boot Camp + 2 Weeks of Teaching + Debriefing. If needed, ADVENT can pick you up from the airport, (please indicate your flight information on your application or edit your application with the flight information once you've bought your ticket). Your daily routine expenses will be covered until the time of debriefing; you will be responsible for all of your own expenses after debriefing is over.
Aside from the registration fee, applicants are responsible for booking and purchasing their own airline ticket to Taiwan. In the past, numerous churches and various groups in the past have chosen to book together as a group in order to simplify logistics (e.g. transportation the airport, unaccompanied minors) and for possible discounts. If you are planning on coming as a group, we encourage coordinating with fellow members to purchase the same flight for maximum convenience. Additionally, we also recommend that you purchase your ticket at the earliest possible time to minimize air fare costs.
It is strongly encouraged that you arrive in Taiwan a few days before Boot Camp begins so that you can adjust to the new time zone. If you need a place to stay, you may arrive up to 2 days earlier at the host church, as the church will provide you with a place to sleep. However, you are responsible for your own meals until Boot Camp formally begins.
(back to top)
If you have any questions about any aspect of the program, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. If you require further clarification, or have any additional questions or issues that you would like to bring to our attention, please e-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
(back to top)