This page will be undergoing continual updates.
I will be attending Advent as a non-teaching adult (or young child) / or am currently residing in Taiwan. Will I still need to fill out a full application and pay the registration fee?
If you will be accompanying the team, then you will also need to fill out a full application, because an accurate roster will be necessary for the logistical committee in determining food, lodging, and transportation arrangements throughout the program. The registration fee covers the living expenses (food, lodging, transportation) for each team member, and those fees would apply in full to you as well. Unfortunately, we cannot offer a reduced fee at this time, because this is the bare minimum fee that covers each team member's expenses. Please note that we will also accept the NTD equivalent of the applicable registration fee. If you have any concerns regarding the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us, and we will try our best to accommodate your needs.
I am not Chinese or Taiwanese, and/or I do not speak Mandarin. Is it still a good idea for me to join?
Though being able to speak both Mandarin Chinese and English well is an advantage in this program and could make bonding with the Taiwanese students a bit easier, it is not necessary that you be fluent in Mandarin. ADVENT does strive to provide the necessary amount of translators for the amount of volunteers in need of translation. In some cases, if not aided by a local translating volunteer, a team parent can also serve as a translator. Even so, many volunteers who were non-Mandarin speaking have enjoyed and grown from the ADVENT experience. Don't let language hold you back from applying! Feel free to contact us personally if you fear that language will be a barrier for you, and we will do our best to provide a translator for you.
I do not currently know my flight information. What should I do? Your application is considered complete without your flight information. However, please update your online application with this information as soon as possible by editing your application. To be certain that we receive your flight information, especially if you need pick-up from the airport, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and/or call (949) 600-7780. We will not be able to provide you with shuttle service from the airport to the Boot Camp location without this information being present in your online application. Aside from the 3-day boot camp in Taiwan, is there any additional training provided? The Advent program will provide an intensive 3-day training boot camp in Taiwan, which will cover all program-related material, from classroom teaching and rally leading to the sharing of your personal testimony and of the Gospel. Currently, the Advent program is unable to provide widespread training stateside, due to (1) limited resources and (2) wide distribution of Advent team members across several states and countries. However, in the months leading up to the program, we do encourage church groups to take the initiative to provide supplemental training for their own members. In the past, some church groups have focused their supplemental training on important spiritual topics, such as team unity and submission to authority; often times, this supplemental training, conducted by leaders who are more familiar with their members, proves to better prepare the individual spiritually and emotionally for the Advent program. Some recommended topics for supplemental training include:
1. The heart of missions
2. Personal spiritual preparedness for missions
3. The attitude of the missionary
4. The importance of team unity and what it looks like
5. The critical component of prayer
6. Building local prayer support prior to going
7. Crash course for living in Taiwan
8. Refining your personal testimony and learning how to give it.
9. Basic Chinese translation for sharing the Gospel
10. Practicing sharing the GospelWhat is the typical age range of students that Advent teachers will be teaching? This year, we are continuing our focus on high schools and middle schools; the majority of our students will fall within this age range, but there are an increasing number of elementary schools asking ADVENT to minister to them as the English proficiency is starting at a younger age in Taiwanese schools. Teachers should expect students with ages ranging from approximately 10 to 17 years of age. What is the typical size of an Advent team? Team sizes can range anywhere from 5 to 30+ members, depending on the number of students the team will be teaching at each local school. That being said, the average team consists of around 8-12 people. Typically, because most local schools do not complete recruiting students until a few weeks before the program begins, team sizes cannot be determined until the final few weeks. I am coming with a group of people from my church. Can we stay together? We try to the best of our ability each year to keep people from the same group or church together within the same team. That being said, there may arise situations where we are unable to accommodate everybody's desire to stay together. Every year, God brings just enough teachers to be able to teach all the students, and this is only possible because we are able to distribute teachers to where they are needed. With this in mind, we deeply appreciate your understanding of the possibility that members from your group may be distributed to other teams during the teaching program. I am arriving 1-2 days before Boot Camp starts. Is there a place I can stay until then? The hosts of our Boot Camp facility have graciously allowed Advent team members to move in as early as Monday, 6/27/16, at no cost. However, please bear in mind that because this is before the program begins, you will need to personally take care of your meals. What is the dress code for Advent? Please refer to the dress code section under "Mission Rules."