Please note that personal electronic devices such as notebooks, tablets, and smart phones are not required for the teaching curriculum. Though you may bring such devices with you, use of such devices for personal reasons (e.g. entertainment, non-program-related tasks) is strictly prohibited throughout the duration of the program. Strict enforcement will be implemented to ensure a distraction-free environment for the Lord’s work.
The Advent program will provide liquid soap and shampoo for showering needs, as well as a sleeping mat and pillow. Please note that during the teaching week, you will be wearing your Advent team uniform tshirt on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
If you will be in Taiwan for only the duration of the program, aside from a backpack, we recommend all your belongings should fit into a suitcase no larger than 26″ x 18″ x 12″ (~56 dimensional inches). The more efficiently you pack, the less hassle you’ll have when traveling from city to city; cram it in real good! If you are planning on staying in Taiwan for some time after the program, we recommend that you leave unnecessary belongings behind (e.g. at a relative’s location), and switch down to a smaller-sized suitcase for the Advent program.
Clothing (please refer to the Mission Rules & Dress Code for additional details)
- Shorts suitable for teaching (2-3 pairs) – no more than 2 inches above the knee
- Please no cut-off shorts. Neat hemlines, please.
- Shirts suitable for teaching (2-3 shirts) – no low-cut tops
- Pair of jeans/ khakis/ presentable long pants for first day of teaching – no low-rise jeans that expose underwear
- Please no distressed jeans/ pants.
- Yoga pants and leggings do NOT count as pants and are NOT ALLOWED in teaching or co-ed environments.
- Semi-formal top for government dinners/ formal meetings (e.g. polo shirt for guys)
- Semi-formal long pants for government dinners/ formal meetings (e.g. nice jeans, khakis)
- girls may wear midi/maxi length skirts or non-revealing dresses (hems no more than 2 inches above the knee)
- Socks – you’ll sweat a lot in the heat, so bring enough pairs if you know you usually sweat profusely
- Gym clothes (recommended)/ comfortable set of clothes – to be worn during team time/ back in the dormitory
- Close-toed shoes suitable for teaching (1 pair) – “Jesus” sandals are allowed
- Flip-Flops – you may bring a pair of flip-flops for showers/ after-school time
- Pajamas (If your pajamas violate any of the dress code, they cannot be worn in co-ed environments)
- Towel – thin towel recommended; thick towels do not air-dry well in Taiwan (they start to smell)
- Personal testimony
- Gospel sharing notes (optional)
- Notebook for teaching notes
- Personal writing utensils
- Folder for taking student handbooks home everyday
- Reusable water bottle
- Light, twin-sized bed sheet (to spread over your sleeping mat, and to sleep under)
- Compact sleeping bag (example) or blanket (example) – (the AC accumulates at night sometimes)
- Pillow case
- Travel-sized pillow (optional)
- Ear plugs (highly recommended)
- Eye mask (highly recommended)
- Cash for personal use (e.g. buying souvenirs, gifts, treats)*
*There may be a few opportunities to visit the bank to exchange currency, but we would recommend that you do so before the program starts.